Thursday 7 March 2013

Boris. (sorry its a bit sweary)

Unless you have been half asleep, or not knee deep in a twitter feed of cyclists sat typing with their mouths half open, not quite believing what was being announced, then you will know all about Boris' announcement today that he is going to spend lots of money on cycling.

I kid you not.  OK, its not a complete panacea, its nowhere near on the same levels as a road building scheme and its not even the coffee, tea and biscuits budget for HS2, but in terms of the UK, it is an unprecedented level of money being allocated to improving cycling for them dahn sarf in Larn-darhn.

Whilst the cycling community and everyone else who would like to venture onto two wheels were it not for the Alton Towers factor of sharing the Capitals roads with HGVs and cocaine fuelled motorists (yes I have heard the urban myth about £20 notes in London) cheered from the cheap seats, the scheme was not without its naysayers.

The response from Mr Lawson of the Alliance of British Drivers was that Mr Johnson's vision was "bonkers".

OK, I am not going to listen to you if you use the word bonkers as an argument   That's the sort of thing my kids....oh no wait....they wouldn't either.

He said: "As a London taxpayer I strongly object to this waste of financial resources on a scheme that favours cyclists over other road users.

Right.  Just stop right there cockwomble,

As a UK taxpayer for 20 years (I know I am only a wee whipper snapper), you can go fuck right off.

I am sick to bleeding death of the bleating, hand-wringing motoring lobby.  "Please sir, don't be unkind to us...."

Piss off.  This country, this Government and previous Governments have presided over the subsidisation of car use over and above every single other road user.  Over pedestrians and over cyclists.  Greedy greedy greedy.  We all pay.  All of us, for your 'right' to own and drive a car.  Everyone.  All the cyclists and all the pedestrians.

So at long last a small, really small in the scheme of things, thing is being done to redress the balance.

And you Mr Lawson, sound like the spoilt little shit at school who never gets invited anywhere because you wont play nice and share.




3 comments:

  1. I have just looked at their website - it is deranged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across this and I couldn't agree more. Nothing to add - you've said it just as I would, right down to the use of "cockwomble".

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is my favourite comment anyone has ever left for me. Thanks :-D

      Delete