Tuesday 4 September 2012

Manchester 100

A few months ago, it was suggested a few people from Seamons might like to ride the Manchester 100. Its no biggy for most of them, but for me it was going to be my first bike event.

I have done Sprint Triathlons before, but never anything so long.

I stupidly agreed and set about doing a bit of training. My plans of lots of summer cycling were consumed by the uncoordinated turmoil of the summer holidays and compelled by a general malaise. 

By the time I had got the the start line, I had just a 45mile ride under my number belt.

I took the sensible decision early on to ride the 100k rather than the 100m.  

The ride started at an already busy Wythenshawe Park.  I had set off at 6.30 to be there for a Seamons photo call at 7. My partner in crime (Frodo) had spent too long having all round faffage so it meant we got there just after and missed them

They had invoked rule #87 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

After speaking to some of the lovely Glow Ladies and posing for a photo we collected our route map and headed off.  I was amazed at how many of the riders completely ignored the first few red lights!  Its not a race.  Is your bike computer that shit it cant tell the difference between stopped and moving time? Good grief!

I think the route took in nearly every single hill I hate in a 50 mile radius from where I live.  I have never been more glad I took a shorter route in all my days.  I take my hat off to the 100 milers.

Anyway, here is my first ever photo in race kit.  Thank you to http://www.cyclesportphotos.com/ for sitting at the top of a huge hill and laughing at our anguished expressions.


No comments:

Post a Comment